Student Accessibility Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Browse through our frequently asked questions to find answers regarding accessibility accommodations.

Academic FAQ

This process remains the same for students studying on-campus and remote. Students currently approved for academic accommodations can go to the online SAS portal to download their letters to provide to instructors. Please note students who need to update documentation from their medical provider will not be able to access their letters and will receive a prompt to contact SAS. 

SAS portal

If you have questions about the renewal process, please contact the office during weekday business hours:

Students who need multiple types of accommodations can follow up on those processes simultaneously, though it is important to note that they are separate requests. 

We will provide you with a registration form as well as information on what we need from a medical provider.

If you have questions, please contact the office during weekday business hours:


There is no deadline to submit a request for academic accommodations. That said, we recommend students complete requests early in the semester, as accommodations are not retroactive. Please visit our Academic Accommodations page or reach out via email/phone for more information.

Academic Accommodations 

Transportation FAQ

SAS can grant access to the SAS shuttle for transportation around the Brown campus. Students should contact SAS either by phone or email to begin the registration process. SAS can also move classes to more accessible locations and/or add students to the Disability Emergency Evacuation Program (D.E.E.P) which can help individuals evacuate their residence hall in an emergency situation.

Graduate Student FAQ

Absolutely, graduate students can reach out to Student Accessibility Services at any time to confer with staff. We can learn more about the situation and assist with the next steps.

Please contact the office during weekday business hours:

You can also refer to Graduate Student Accommodations and Services

Students with personal health concerns should register with SAS. SAS will follow the same process as for all accommodations related to a documented disability, medical condition, or temporary injury. Please reach out to to our office and request to connect with one of our professional staff.

Register with SAS Online

The general process for approval or disability related accommodations includes registration and providing documentation from a qualified evaluator. If students are not sure about providing documentation please reach out to get connected with one of our professional staff to discuss.

Documentation Guidelines

Information about disability diagnoses and symptoms is not shared with faculty or administration. Only information about approved accommodations is shared on a need-to-know basis so that accommodations may be implemented.

The accommodations process through Student Accessibility Services can address the direct health concerns of students only. For situations in which a student is concerned due to a household member who is high-risk, they should seek an alternative arrangement with their advisor, with support from their Director of Graduate Study, and Maria Suarez, Associate Dean of Student Support in the Graduate School.

Reach out to SAS to get connected with staff to follow-up.

Other Questions

If you have other questions that are not addressed in this FAQ section, please don't hesitate to contact us.